Re: top five art videos for middle school - Larry

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 14:14:32 PDT

Greetings Larry,

I have so many favorites.....But I must first look at
your curriculum to decide what is best for you.
Definitely add Masters of Illusions for your
Perspective lessons. Personally, I do not recommend
Gerald Brommer's perspective for you. Do add Keith
Haring "Drawing the Line". It would mean adding a unit
for your students but it is well worth it (you could
tie his work in with your patterned animals - as
Haring was definitely inspired by pattern -
particularly pre-Columbian design. I even tied him in
with a printmaking unit I did - just on line and
pattern. You coul duse him fo ryour relief printing
unit). I believe you have Chuck Close: Up Close
already?

If I were to select just one Pop artist - I would go
with Lichtenstein (I have liked all of his videos) -
Try Roy Lichtentstein: Reflections as that is only 30
minute long - perfect length for middlers.

You don't do clay? No kiln? Any chances of getting a
kiln? I have some favorites, there, too.

Try to add some cultural videos. I liked African
Art:Through the Eyes of Africa. Focusing on Bamana,
Dogon and D'jenne (Art of Mali) -- but also on
influences on modern art. (Page 34 on Art Video
World).

Do add African American. I liked both Jacob Lawrence
videos I saw and Romare Bearden Visual Jazz. This
would mean adding a unit focusing on African American
art.

You might like Picasso Makes Faces? - that is new. I
have not seen it -- or Henri Matisse: Pattern & Paper
(also new)...and both short videos.

What about Georgia O'Keeffe? "The Southwest of Georgia
O'Keeffe" is new and only 10 minutes. I am very
interested in all of these new 10 minute videos. See
page 24 Art Video World for more listings.

Do you have Eric Carle: Picture Writer? That fits in
with your lessons.

Folks rave about the Behind the Scenes Video series
but I have not seen any of these. Maybe start with
Hockney? as that fits nicely into your lessons. Folks
like Thiebaud, too.

How much of a Hispanic population do you have? Crizmac
Days of the Dead might be nice...or maybe add Oaxacan
wood carving? My students loved that video.

If you do not have Art Video World - call 1
800-644-3429. They seem to have the largest
selection...Then you can check around to see if they
have the best prices. All Crizmac videos I have see
are excellent for middle school - 1-800-913-8555

Hope this helps,

Judy Decker

...If you have favorites,