Re: Ken Schwab's 5 modes of design

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 09 2004 - 08:56:18 PDT

For those who are curious...

From Ken Schwab (years ago):

I do a project with the five modes of design. I call
them modes because they are styles or types of design
areas that I can teach. I list them as:

1. Naturalism- (photo realistic)
2. Realism- ( representational)
3. Stylized- ( simplification of details)
4. Abstraction- (distortion and overlapping to create
new shapes)
5. Nonobjective- ( no recognizable object, elements
producing the principles
of design.

In Art 1, I have a project in which they use all the
modes of design with one simple object that they
choose. They draw it realistically and then use
paint to show the other modes, all in one composition.
They can divide it into areas or have them intertwine
with each other.

Ken Schwab
San Jose CA

Here is a project that closely fits his description:
http://www.room3art.com/php/section.php?scand=users/2003/Art1/value_Abstract

This project too becomes more of a design - it start
with a realistic photograph - student focus down:
http://www.room3art.com/php/section.php?scand=users/2003/Art1/Nonobj.

Some other responses to 5 Modes of Design:

From Todd Osborne:

This is a late reply, but I wanted to let you know
about my version of these five categories that art may
fit into.

1. Imitationalism - realistically recreating life or
nature
2. Expressivism - expressing strong feeling or emotion

3. Formalism - concerned with formal elements and
principles of design
4. Instrumentalism - social, political or moral
message
5. Functionalism - art for utility or practical use
(pottery, quilts, weaving...)

I have may students categorize any work of art that
they see into ONE of these choices. Some works may fit
into more than one, but they must make a choice and
defend their choices.

Todd Osborne

From Wayne S:

Submit, Edit, Revise, Configure, and View
Wayne S

Ken will probably have more to say - I just happened
to open your message...and thought other might be
curious. Google has all sorts of answers. I had saved
Ken's post to file, too.

Here is Ken Schwab's web site address:
http://www.room3art.com/

Judy Decker