Woody's Rubic

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 08 2004 - 15:11:45 PDT

I had almost totally forgotten about that rubic. When our district started
pushing rubics I realized that I actually used one without realizing it.
In my grade book I recorded mostly just check marks, some a plus mark
or star behind it, some plain, and some with minus marks behind them.
If work was unfinished I recorded a UN, and if missing a big fat 0. I came
to realize that by articulating my reasons for the various marks and
posting
them for all to understand I had a rubic. Well it suited the way I
taught and
the way I graded. My supervisor never accepted it as a rubic. It was too
simple, too open to interpertation, just didn't fit the rubic
guidelines. I was
too stuborn to change. So I posted it in my classroom and added it to
lesson
plans I submitted to the district. I really think my streamlined rubic
is the
way many art teachers evaluate work. Now it just brings back memories.
                              Woody, Retired in KC (for now)

Carolyn Roberts wrote:

I like this rubric of Woody's....I think I'll print it out, have it
enlarged
to poster size...we have one of those machines that does that....and just
post it in the room with a few modifications that fit my classes.

I agree with Judy...if a student finishes their work and is trying, I don't
give them a grade less than 70. There are also exceptions, but I can't
remember failing anyone who is really trying and works every day.
Carolyn Roberts

> Here is one modified rubric that Woody used. My
> students liked this. I gave it out at the start of the
> grading period. I never gave a 0 on a work of art:
> http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/rubric2.htm
> The lowest grade I gave for finished work was a D.
> Usually unfinished work had other circumstances if it
> was unfinished and I took that into consideration.
> Most of my students finished their assignments - ether
> during academic assist or after school.
> Judy Decker

---