Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Woody's Rubic

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 08 2004 - 15:11:45 PDT

I had almost totally forgotten about that rubic. When our district started
pushing rubics I realized that I actually used one without realizing it.
In my grade book I recorded mostly just check marks, some a plus mark
or star behind it, some plain, and some with minus marks behind them.
If work was unfinished I recorded a UN, and if missing a big fat 0. I came
to realize that by articulating my reasons for the various marks and
them for all to understand I had a rubic. Well it suited the way I
taught and
the way I graded. My supervisor never accepted it as a rubic. It was too
simple, too open to interpertation, just didn't fit the rubic
guidelines. I was
too stuborn to change. So I posted it in my classroom and added it to
plans I submitted to the district. I really think my streamlined rubic
is the
way many art teachers evaluate work. Now it just brings back memories.
                              Woody, Retired in KC (for now)

Carolyn Roberts wrote:

I like this rubric of Woody's....I think I'll print it out, have it
to poster size...we have one of those machines that does that....and just
post it in the room with a few modifications that fit my classes.

I agree with Judy...if a student finishes their work and is trying, I don't
give them a grade less than 70. There are also exceptions, but I can't
remember failing anyone who is really trying and works every day.
Carolyn Roberts