Re: rubrics

---------

From: knitzber (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 08 2004 - 06:43:51 PDT

With all the discussion of rubrics lately, I thought that I
would contribute
the ones that I typically use as a guideline for looking at
student
artwork, which helps me to determine my overall assessment
of the
work.

At the secondary level, we have 2 standards that we need to
address
based upon the skills that are to be worked on and evidenced
in the
work.

The 1st is the Performance based standard that is considered
to be a
base standard in my district, that revolves around the
creation of the
wrok. The 2nd is the Analysis based standard that
concentrates more
on the ability of a student to draw inference and analogy
from a piece
of art (their own as well as established works that they are
asked to
verbally address - written and / or orally).

Again, keep in mind that I am using these in my high school
art classes,
so the language and concepts may not be suitable for other
levels.
Also, this is only one aspect of how I end up gauging my
students final
grade. As had been shared by others on this list, effort
and a
willingness to learn are also considerations. The
measurement
provided by the standard is an indication of the skill
acquisition being
measured but is not the only consideration that is factored
into the
report card grade that they receive at the end of the class.

The scoring reflects the following levels:
4 = exemplary level work
3 = proficient level work
2 = emerging level work
1 = novice level work

Standard: Arts Creation and Performance

Level 4:

*Approaches work in an highly individualized and expressive
manner.

*Develops ideas that are conceptually strong and reveal
important
insights.

*Demonstrates a passionate and keen intellectual and
creative
curiosity toward work.

*Exhibits highly developed abilities in successfully
applying learned
knowledge and skills pertaining to visual language,
structures, forms,
and vocabulary.

Level 3:

*Nearly always approaches work in an independent and
expressive
manner.

*Develops ideas of conceptual importance.

*Is inquisitive with regard to work and willing to explore
it intellectually
and creatively.

*Demonstrates successful application of learned knowledge
and skills
pertaining to visual language, structures, forms and
vocabulary.

Level 2:

*May work in a personalized and expressive manner in some
instances, but is occasionally dependent on guidance.

*Develops ideas that are sometimes meaningful or important.

*Frequently exhibits an intellectual and creative curiosity
that drives
work.

*Is usually able to apply learned knowledge and skills
pertaining to
visual language, structures, forms and vocabulary with
frequent
success.

Level 1:

*Works in a haphazard manner with little understanding of a
successful
problem-solving process and requires frequent direction.

*Exhibits ideas that are generally mundane and trivial.

*At times shows a spark of intellectual or creative
curiosity toward work.

*Occasionally shows deliberate application of learned
knowledge and
skills pertaining to visual language, structures, forms and
vocabulary
with some success.

Standard: Arts Analysis and Interpretation

Level 4:

*Demonstrates a comprehensive knowledge of many contexts
(personal, social, cultural, historical, philosophical,
technological,
environmental, economic, aesthetic), surrounding and
impacting work.

*Describes, analyzes, interprets and evaluates information
and images
with sound reasons and insight that reflect a value system.
Analyses
and conclusions are accurate, detailed, insightful, valid
and consistent
with data.

*Responds to feedback with personal insight and incorporates
own
ideas and suggestions.

*Revises work when necessary with highly successful
outcomes.

Level 3:

*Demonstrates broad knowledge of various contexts (personal,
social,
cultural, historical, philosophical, technological,
environmental,
economic, aesthetic), surrounding and impacting work.

*Is able to describe, analyze, interpret and evaluate
information and
images with justification. Analyses and conclusions are
accurate and
consistent with data.

*Responds to feedback with personal insight and uses it to
achieve
successful results.

*Revises work when necessary with successful results.

Level 2:

*Demonstrates rudimentary knowledge of several contexts
(personal,
cultural, historical, technological), surrounding and
impacting work.

*Demonstrates ability to describe, analyze, interpret and
judge
information and images. Analyses and conclusions are usually
correct.

*Employs feedback with satisfactory results.

*Is able to revise work for acceptable results.

Level 1:

*Demonstrates limited knowledge of a few contexts (personal,
cultural,
historical), surrounding and impacting work.

*Demonstrates limited ability to describe, classify and
analyze
information and images. Analyses and conclusions are often
unclear or
inaccurate.

In both of the above standards, no work turned in or work
that is so
poorly thrown together to not be assessable, receives no
credit.

---