Re: secret thinking habits of artists? Themes

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 12:58:15 PDT

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

I will be compiling all of the themes that inspire
artists to add to the file on Incredible Art
Department (to come).

Many artists are inspired by theme....
Here are some Themes in American Art:
http://www.nga.gov/education/american/aasplash.htm
Some are for the Formal Properties or Expression -
using those Ps and Es. I guess we need to consider the
four main theories of aesthetics too: Art as Realism,
Art for Formal Properties, Art as Function, Art for
Expression -- and how these cross over, too.

Here is the site- Great Themes in Art by John Walford:

http://wps.prenhall.com/hss_walford_greattheme_1/0,4421,66674-,00.html

Browse some of the chapters (pull down menu at top).
Many of the themes listed are universal.

ArtsConnected has some good themes:
http://www.artsconnected.org/artsnetmn/

I will mesh all of these themes with the common themes
provided by Patty Knott:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/themes.htm

Add onto Marvin's question. How do artists get their
ideas? Here is the start of the page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/ideas.htm
Each of you can make your own poster from the
selection that will be provided.

Judy Decker