RE: Questions about Art Ed (about rubics)

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 07:59:12 PDT

Kathy, your thoughts are really wonderful, and for me, inspiring me to carefully evaluate what I do.
My question is, how do you take the unbridled energy and get the student to focus? You have to start somewhere - where do you start at the beginning of the year? I have elementary kids, and I am struggling to go with this paradigm shift you're offering to me. I understand the idea of us (teachers) being resource persons in the classroom, but you have to have some direction. Where do you go? Do you let the students form the curriculum? Right now, at my school, we are highly encouraged to do that thematic stuff - and I often use the predominant theme of study currently in the classroom, folded into techniques and art elements designated by the curriculum.. My guess is that probably if I just let them go, some would persue the theme, others, stuff they're interested in. How do you fold teaching of new or reviewing of old techniques? How, then, do you grade? I see below that you haven't answered that yourself, but if you're using the ideas below, do you have to submit grades? What do you evaluate?

Trying to learn more,

Jan