secret thinking habits of artists?

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 09:45:20 PDT

To: Kathy Douglas (see message from From: TwoDucks@aol.com Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 07:46:52 EDT)

>You say, . . . the idea, the meaning, comes from the artist. If we
>wish for our students to behave as artists we must offer them the
>opportunity to behave as artists. (this is a brief quote from a
>great message)

You say it right and you say it well! THANK YOU!

To: All
To our credit, we deliberately include the practice of many great
things in our art courses, but how often do we deliberately teach and
have students practice the real artist methods of generating ideas
for artwork? For some students, it may be too hard to simply allow
them to come up with their own ideas (my students often revert to
previous a cliche). What if we would teach the secrets of idea
generation? What if, when planning next years curriculum, each unit
were to emphasize and practice one way that artists generate ideas
for their work - not by showing artwork examples, but by stealing
idea generation methods used by a top artists.

It is hard to think about our thinking habits, but what if we would
start an e-mail thread that lists the methods that we think certain
artists use to come up with their ideas? How many artists and
methods of generating ideas do you suppose our creative group of art
teachers could generate? Could we have the Secrets of How Artists
Get Ideas poster ready for nest years classroom?

Marvin

---