RE: Questions about Art Ed (about rubics)

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 07:13:20 PDT

> > Personally, I don't like rubics. But a good thing is that rubics are
> > intended to let students know (beforehand)

the icky word - looked it up about ten years ago - means 'red ink' - which
always made me chuckle because I always associate rubrics with the anti-red
ink assessment... meaning - no red 'x's...

From Project Zero - http://www.pz.harvard.edu/Research/RubricSelf.htm - :
1. Articulated clear criteria for assessing writing,
2. Asked students to assess their own work,
3. Provided opportunities for improvement through revision, and
4. Was sensitive to students' developmental stages, referring to
appropriate grade level standards.

The literature on self-regulated learning and feedback suggests that learning
improves when feedback reminds students of the need to monitor their
learning and guides them in how to achieve learning objectives
(Bangert-Drowns et al., 1991; Butler and Winne, 1995)

I find my greatest frustration with rubrics is that often I see things that
I would like to change - but won't in midstream - but if it is a long term
project, I do go over what I would do differently with the students when we
are finished. I still have a teacher's note from when my now 17 year old
was in 5th grade..." Great project, very clever, and I know I didn't write
it on the rubric, but I said it once in class... put the author's name on
it" - and then he was marked off....
they tend to keep the goals clear, objectives concise, playing field even...
and they keep me 'honest'. And just like #2 above - I have to assess my own
work too...

Ellen