Re: Questions about Art Ed (about rubics)

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 06:33:49 PDT

Ok, Woody and TwoDucks, this sounds more like me, thanks, I feel better. I
generally grade on - did you participate? did you make a consistent effort?
were you a good classmate? did you finish my project?, and those are really
the only rubric entries I was planning to do. I've made a database/form in
works spreadsheet, and the kids can add comments if they want, no paper
involved. That's what I'm going to try next fall.

The really detailed rubrics to me read like we are teaching them to
manufacture a factory product. Art doesn't happen that way, and I think
teaching art that way is, well, awfully clerical. put them in cubicles and
give them a rubric. punch a timesheet. Oh, and be sure and give them a
state-mandated standardized test when it's over.

If I see a kid's project taking off in a completely different direction than
my final plans I encourage them to go with it. It can be hard for a middle
school kid to have the courage to do that, so I think it is important. It's
hard to write a rubric for that, but valuing a personally meaningful idea
and seeing where it takes you is exactly what I'm wanting to teach. I agree
with TwoDucks' NASCAR story - skills come when you are working on something
that is personally meaningful to you. Otherwise it is merely manual labor.

> Personally, I don't like rubics. But a good thing is that rubics are
> intended to let students know (beforehand)

---