Re: Questions about Art Ed

---------

From: knitzber (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 04:22:46 PDT

Therein lies the importance of the accomodations mentioned
in my
response for some students based upon particular needs, in
addition to
the sequenced steps (tasks) that should be built into the
implementation of the standard that needs to be able to
address the
very skill deficiencies that you mentioned. The overall
intent of
standards-based education is to build mastery of skills, not
to grade
students where they are at. That is what ultimately
separates this
approach to learning than simplistic test taking that does
not seek to
build knowledge but rather identify prior information
acquisition. Of
course, we have had many attempts to work towards the former
as a
workable teaching / learning paradigm in education for many
years that
have been given different names, without being able to
efficiently
implement programs that tend to be more time consuming, in
need of
more contact time between teacher and student, require
smaller class
sizes, better funding and, dare I say it?, a move towards a
longer or at
the very least, restructured school calendar that provides
for more
sequential learning time rather than the 9 month on and 3
month off
structure that is typically adhered to. So much of what we
do during the
course of the school year fades over the course of the
totality of the
summer that, when we return in late August / Sept., we are
starting on a
remedial footing and lose a lot of the ground that had been
gained the
previous year. The likelihood of that changing in the
forseeable future,
I am afraid, is fairly small. As such, we will probably
continue to pursue
the 'crunch' mentality that has become the accepted format
for what the
school year consists of, leaving students with the false
idea that
learning is often a painful chore that comes to an end in
June, and
teachers often leave at the end of the school year with many
things that
they would have liked to have been able to do differently
during the
course of the year but, once again, did not have time to
explore and
implement. That reality I'm afraid, as much as anything,
will continue to
hamper true educational reform and significant increase in
overall
student achievement.

Kevan

> I agree with your statement. However, when it comes to
> grading craftsmanship, I know that no matter how much some
> kids will try they just don't have the physical capability
> to color (or shade, or construct) as neatly as other kids,

---