Re: Questions about Art Ed (about rubics)

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 04:18:01 PDT

marcia lavery wrote: (about rubics)

> It is a good idea to let the kids see it before. Sometimes I will
> hand them out before the project.

Personally, I don't like rubics. But a good thing is that rubics are
intended to let students know (beforehand)
what is expected of them as the lesson proceeds. To this extent the move
toward rubics has been a good thing.
Students should know where they are headed if we expect them to get
there. Often I did not want
my students to know the big picture so they would not work from a
preconceived idea. Rather I wanted
them to concentrate on the task (objective) at that moment. For example:
doing a quality drawing
that would later be used in a printmaking assignment. Quite often I did
not tell them what the drawings
would be used for. I stressed the qualities of a good drawing. You could
have a rubic for each step in
an intergrated lesson but that would leave little time for teaching and
it would take much of the joy out
of the process for both student and teacher. I suspect the expectations
I lay out for students is a rubic.
But not the rubic described at many of our inservices. They expect
detailed descriptions of what each
outcome is to look like at the various levels of accomplishment. That
seems to take all the art and
individually out of the process. Yes, let students know where you are
taking them before you start.
Yes, let them know what a quality outcome looks like. But Please, don't
perscribe every step along
the way. We are teaching students how artists think. There is suppose to
be beauty and meaning at
the end of the road.
                                            A retired teachers
viewpoint, Woody in KC (for now)