Re: Questions about Art Ed

---------

From: marcia lavery (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 14:27:07 PDT

I create a rubric for every project with these categories (with sample statements)
Concept: the student created a clay house at least 3 inches tall.
Creativity: the student added at least 3 unique design elements (windows, doors, etc) to their clay house and used the sample architectural element sheet for inspiration
Craftsmanship: the clay parts have been properly attached and the clay has been smoothed
Glaze: the student applied glaze evenly and neatly and has thoughtfully chosen colors
Work Ethic: the student worked hard every day and was responsible for cleaning and storing materials properly

I have a template on my computer at school and then just insert and change the statements as needed. For 2-d works, I just change and add certain statements for the concepts I am teaching. I also pay careful attention to the students abilities and score them according to what I know they are capable of.

Melissa Speelman <lucylomax@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
Each student came to class with a different set of backgrounds,
experiences, and set if skills. I would not want to punish a student
who was not at a particular skill level yet. Rather I hope to reward
incentive, effort and growth. The student who came to class with
a demonstrated high ability level would be held to a higher standard.
Yet, I would not expect the "talented" student to perform at a
top level at all times. I would hope to allow for experimentation and
having the courage to try new things and to fail. -Woody

Woody,

You really summed up my very philosophy of evaluating artwork. My struggle is how to take this philosophy and create a valid, meaningful system for evaluating student work that also works within our school (I teach 7th and 8th grade). I renovate my grading system almost every year and I'm still not satisfied. Would you mind sharing a little bit about how you have evaluated you students in the past?

Thank You,
Melissa Speelman