Re: Summer Assignments

---------

From: marcia lavery (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 14:16:23 PDT

Could you possibly have a list of fun choices to complete and then count them as extra credit? The kids might be more willing to do the assignment. I like the art postcard idea.

"Hillmer, Jan" <HillmJan@Berkeleyprep.org> wrote:IN the past 2 years, I have given summer assignments to my students (Elementary). Both years this took the form of sketchbook assignments, intended to be completed within 45 min. This has been supported by my admin. but I have gotten resistance from parents and students. Additionally, the quality of the work that is completed tends to be poor. I'd like some advice, suggestions, etc. for this next summer. My reasoning for doing this is to let the parents and children know that art is something that can and should be continued whether or not there is school. It seems, too, that kid's work is improved (somewhat) by the work over the summer.
This year, in an attempt to improve attitudes about doing this, I am thinking of outlining a few projects and having the kids choose and complete 2-3. Additionally, or perhaps as one choice, I'm thinking of having them buy a postcard of art dutring their summer travels, and write a few lines about the artwork, perhaps with some prompts. Got any ideas? Input? Mainly, I want the kids to keep making art all summer long.....
Jan