Latest info from UPenn Museum, Philadelphia

---------

From: Christine Besack (mrsbeeswax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 05:08:57 PDT

Hi All,
This is the latest info from the University of Pennsylvania Museum, in Philadelphia.
Hope you can take advantage of this great PA resource,
Chistine Besack :)
PAEA Region 11 Rep.
          YAM Co-Chair
           Advocacy Chair

Penn Museum's E-Musings: Of Love, War, Drink and Travel
Regional Edition

May 4, 2004

With spring very much in the air, Penn Museum staff and scholars turn to suitable pursuits...our Bacchanalia Party...travel options near and far...musings on love, war, and the legend behind the soon-to-be released movie, TROY...and for the under 13 set, summer camp registration!

BACCHUS, THE ROMAN GOD OF WINE, is honorary chairman of Penn Museum's fabulous fourth annual Young Friends evening of revelry and, thanks to the Museum's "Royal Tombs of Ur" exhibition, of Mesopotamian merriment, this Friday, May 7, from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Everyone 21 and older is invited! Here's your invitation: http://www.museum.upenn.edu/new/members/Bacchanalia_email/email.shtml

TRAVEL LOVERS' ALERT!
Once again, Penn Museum plans to be first in the field! Museum members and their friends are invited to travel with us to Libya to visit the well-preserved ancient sites, outstanding examples of the many civilizations that flourished along the Mediterranean coast. For the first time in more than two decades, Libya, a country rich in history and archaeological glory, is now open to American travelers.

Our tour, October 9 through October 20, 2004, will be led by Dr. Donald White, Emeritus Professor of Classics at Penn and Curator Emeritus of the Museum's Mediterranean Section. Dr. White was the Director of the Museum's excavations at Cyrene in Libya where he worked for eight seasons until 1981. For more information, read on, or call the Museum's Women's Committee, 215/898-9202, to ask for a full color brochure! http://www.museum.upenn.edu/new/events/world_tour/tourprogram.shtml

CLOSER TO HOME, we're offering this late spring day-trip:
Saturday, June 19, we're taking a bus to see a spectacular new exhibition at the National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C. - COURTLY ART OF THE ANCIENT MAYA. The Museum's own Maya expert Simon Martin played a major role in the show, and he'll be our guide. Join us! http://www.museum.upenn.edu/new/events/calitem.php?which=431

KIDS STUFF
Our "Anthropologists in the Making" summer camp (ages 8 through 12) is filling up fast! From weekly themes like "Mysterious Mummies" to "Asian Art" to "World Music," kids get an opportunity to visit the galleries, hear stories, create art, play games, enjoy performances, even act out plays - as they learn about cultures through time and across continents. Afternoons feature swimming and recreational fun. http://www.museum.upenn.edu/new/edu/kids/summercamp.shtml

and now, for our favorite featurette...

CURATORS CORNERED: For the Love of Troy

As evidenced by such films as "Gladiator," "Spartacus," and "Hercules," Hollywood holds a special love for the ancient Mediterranean world, its lore and its legends. Coming out soon: Warner Brothers grand epic, TROY. It's a perfect spring movie, about beauty so extraordinary that it had the power to start a war. (Remember Helen with the "face that launched a thousand ships"?)

So we turned to Dr. Christopher Ratte, our Visiting Curator-in-Charge of the Mediterranean section, and an unabashed Trojan War buff, and we asked him, was the Trojan War REALLY fought over the beauty of a woman?

Golden clues to the answer, it seems, lie partly in some extraordinary ancient Trojan artifacts in this Museum's own collection! Read on: http://www.museum.upenn.edu/new/home/troy/troy.shtml

There IS such a thing as A FREE LUNCH...FOR PENN MUSEUM VOLUNTEERS! During National Volunteers Week, Penn Museum volunteers sat down to a special free lunch - served up by senior staff. It was a small way of saying thank you - to the more than 250 volunteers who contribute their time and experience to the Museum. http://www.museum.upenn.edu/new/members/volunteers/reception.shtml

From spring wines to summer camp, Penn Museum members are having a fine time - and you can join them, if you aren't already a member, getting the same great discounts they do, while supporting the work of the Museum! http://www.museum.upenn.edu/new/members/membership/membership.shtml

---