Re: Questions about Art Ed

---------

From: Melissa Speelman (lucylomax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 17:47:13 PDT

Each student came to class with a different set of backgrounds,
experiences, and set if skills. I would not want to punish a student
who was not at a particular skill level yet. Rather I hope to reward
incentive, effort and growth. The student who came to class with
a demonstrated high ability level would be held to a higher standard.
Yet, I would not expect the "talented" student to perform at a
top level at all times. I would hope to allow for experimentation and
having the courage to try new things and to fail. -Woody

Woody,

You really summed up my very philosophy of evaluating artwork. My struggle is how to take this philosophy and create a valid, meaningful system for evaluating student work that also works within our school (I teach 7th and 8th grade). I renovate my grading system almost every year and I'm still not satisfied. Would you mind sharing a little bit about how you have evaluated you students in the past?

Thank You,
Melissa Speelman

---