Re: Questions about Art Ed

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 16:54:55 PDT

> I am interested to see how fellow art teachers will answer the
> following 2-part question.

> (1a.) When grading a piece of student artwork:

I seldom graded a "single" piece of student work.
I tried to rely on what you listed as growth standards
(comparing a students work to what
the teacher believes the student is capable of)?

(1b.) Why do you feel this is the best approach?

Each student came to class with a different set of backgrounds,
experiences, and set if skills. I would not want to punish a student
who was not at a particular skill level yet. Rather I hope to reward
incentive, effort and growth. The student who came to class with
a demonstrated high ability level would be held to a higher standard.
Yet, I would not expect the "talented" student to perform at a
top level at all times. I would hope to allow for experimentation and
having the courage to try new things and to fail.

This is a major reason only professional art teachers should be
delivering the art programs in our schools.

I taught 6, 7 and 8th graders for 27 years. If I taught advanced
high school students or at the college level I might approach
assessment differently, but I doubt it.
                                                Woody in KC

--
28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons