Video reviews - I Can Fly I,II and III - Dropping in on Matisse

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 02 2004 - 17:28:17 PDT

Greetings ArtsEdNetters,

I Can Fly I, II and III videos were a recent topic on
this list...and many have asked about the Dropping in
on Matisse video. Post to the list how you have used
these videos in your classes.

I was curious so I previewed all I Can Fly Videos.
They sounded like so much fun. Turn to page 25 in your
Art Video World Catalog (1-800-644-3429) - they give
the best descriptions of videos I have seen. All three
videos are hosted by teenager, Austin Irving who
relates very well to the kids in the videos.
Those who buy into TAB Choice Art Education will
really like what these videos have to offer, too. I
Can Fly I shows the value of a comprehensive
program integrating visual art, dance and performance
art. Watching the short segments of Blue Man Group
will give you ideas for your own "performance group".
I thought of putting liquid watercolors in spray
bottles and spraying them at a canvas to mix colors
-with kids wearing bright colored trash bags (our
grocery store sells colors). Seeing the performance
artists will give you ideas on how to make music with
ordinary objects. See how you can bring dance and
movement into your curriculum.

I Can Fly I gives short segments with Faith Ringgold,
Jacob Lawrence, and Elizabeth Catlett (pottery). This
video will really motivate the kids to explore and
create. Provide some free play with materials after
this video...Maybe see how many different way the can
get paint onto their papers. Have some fun. This is
geared to grade K thru 3 - but older students
would like it too. Video is 25 minute long.

I Can Fly II shows all the thinking that goes into
making a painting as it explores five key elements of
painting (not to be confused with our elements
of design): color- light -style -texture and subject.
The video features classic works of art as well as
modern artists Faith Ringgold, Jacob Lawrence and
Romare Bearden. Blue Man Group performances are the
same as in ICF I - Paper Bag Players have been added.
Video is 25 minutes long. This would be good for
grades 1 thru 5 - but middle school kids may enjoy it
- especially for some service learning -- teaching
some of this to younger students.

I Can Fly III features Chuck Close through out the
video. This is one I thought would even be good for
middle school students as it presents many of
the modern styles of painting. I did however find some
errors in their presentation. I disagree where they
placed Rousseau's Sleeping Gypsy. I
believe his work belongs in a fantasy/surreal group. I
think they showed it for Fauvism. They also called
Jackson Pollock Abstract Impressionism - while I
have always heard that style as Abstract
Expressionism. Blue Man Group, Stomp and Paper Bag
Players are in this one as well. 27 minutes long. All
three I Can Fly videos are $39.95 each.

Dropping in on Matisse is also listed on page 25 in
Art Video World ($29.95). If you liked Dropping in on
Rousseau - you will like this one too. This one
was also written by Pam Stephens (Getty list member -
and now college professor). Puffer the Puffin
interviews Matisse critiquing briefly six works of
art. Goldfish is always a good one for kids as is
Woman with Hat. I have always like Egyptian Curtain
too. The teaching booklet that comes with this has a
nice concise chronology and several lesson suggestions
to get you thinking. Incredible Art Department has
some of them on the site. I will
be adding a link for this video on the lesson plans
soon.

Has anyone seen Henri Matisse: Pattern & Paper? I will
check that one out too (on page 24).

While I didn't go into great detail here - I hope I
have given you enough to consider the value of these
in your program. Of course - opinions on videos will
always vary. I highly recommend you preview these as
soon as you get them. This company is willing to
exchange videos within 30 days. I know your librarian
may want to catalog them first - try to persuade
him/her to allow you to view them first. My school
got stuck with videos I never used with students --
they wouldn't let me check them out to view till they
were catalogued (months too late!).

If there are videos you are curious about let me know.
I have previewed many that are available at my local
Art Resource center. Those of you with
limited budgets might want to think about pooling your
dollars with the rest of your staff and start a
centrally located resoure center in your district.
Many videos can go for K thru 6-- while a majority can
go for grades 6 thru 12 (with some fast forwarding).
Personally I didn't order many videos that were longer
than 45 minutes. I could usually edit out enough of a
45 minute video to get it all shown in one class
period.

More video reviews to come. Share your experience with
any of these listed here.

Regards,

Judy Decker

=====