Fun Egyptian Art Project from Linda Woods

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 02 2004 - 07:10:24 PDT

Greetings all interested in Art of Egypt,

Shrink Plastic Jewelry is a big hit with kids. One
teacher at my former school did Egyptian style motifs
with her fith graders and they were a big hit. You can
even used recycled no. 6 plastic - save lots of $$.
The pins her kids did were very "sellable" so think
fundraiser here. She displayed them on a gold marker
accented black card - nice presentation.

Here is a post to ArtsEdNet from Linda Woods:

Making Egyptian Sarcophagus jewelry with Shrink
plastic would be perfect for you....(even art on a
cart) Colored pencils, paper,permanent thin pens,
maybe a few thin colored permanent markers, and you've
got it! I gave my kids a template of the outline of a
mummy case just to get them to size it right. (Shrink
plastic shrinks a LOT when
you bake it - maybe 1/3 size?) I think ours were
about 5 inches tall, maybe 1.5 or 1.75 inches wide at
the shoulders and the base. I showed them how long to
make them, but I let each kid design their own
pedestal style base so they would not all look alike.
On paper templates, they designed everything they
wanted to put into their mummy case...heiroglyphics,
symbols, pattern, hair ornamentation (stripes and the
bands at the
bottom with gold, and so on.), necklaces, faces in
egyptian style, and so on.

Once they had the 5" tall model the way they wanted
it, they laid their plastic sheet on top of it and
traced over their design with extra fine permanent
sharpie. Prismacolors worked great on these to color
them. We also used the black skinny sharpie and red
skinny sharpies to color them (Sharpie has all sorts
of colors now. How do fine point gold markers work?).
Following the coloring, they cut them out.

After bakiing - We glued pinbacks on the back of them
with silicone glue. I gave each kid a silk cord, and
they could wear them as pendants, strung through the
pinback (which was glued on verically) or they could
wear them as pins. If you made them a little smaller,
they could be cute dangle earrings for mom.
Some years we baked them in the classroom, other
years, I sent them home with instructions for baking
and had them bring them back. I suggest doing it at
school. You could use a toaster oven (add a toaster
over to your wish list - yo umay get it).

At home, some of the kids or parents must have freaked
out when they curled up in the baking process. If you
leave them alone, they will flatten out totally when
they are finished baking. I think we baked them at
350 (look up baking instructions), but you had best
test one to be sure if you do this.

Linda Woods

Thanks Linda - I knew this topic would come up again
(I add a word here and there)...Someday I may do the
"Egyptian Art Project Challenge"....and will make one
of these as the reward.

Cheers!

Judy Decker

=====