Getting outside

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (eheisey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 05:39:49 PDT

Thanks for so many responses on this topic. There were many good ideas
for all ages
Here are my current favorites:
Calder mobile/stabiles drawn on paper but done outside with natural
elements used for the forms that balance. That is, students find
petals, twigs, leaves, stamens, seed pods, etc that function as the
balanced objects that attach to the framework in their drawings. Use
drawn framework/base from actual Calder work. Calder mobile handout.
Then, in a way, the subject is the spring breeze which is what beckons
me anyway. Pencil or colored pencil.
I want to find other ways to integrate artists into this outdoor thing.
For example, making your landscape or flower study look like Van Gogh's
brushstrokes, perhaps using pastel.
Working with a neutral ground, eraser and charcoal or pencil in order
to speed up the shading process while working between rainy days.
Seems like students sunning themselves make nice 15-minute models for
life drawing for the rest.
Guess I really have spring fever bad this year! Teaching at a Christian
school we talk about man as the little creator made in the image of
God, who is once again, in spring, recreating His world before our very
eyes. I am amazed more every year. Thanks for the help getting us all
outside!
Beth

---