Re: Blueprint Paper

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 21:58:35 PDT

Jill -

I think Rauschenberg made large blueprints with his
performance art/dancer friend Merce Cunningham. I
remember seeing what I think was blueprints (may have
been paint or something...Its been a LONG time)

basically bodies were laid out on paper and there was
some interaction between the bodies.

I got large blueprint paper and chopped it down for a
project this spring. It is not terribly light
sensitive - I turned the light off in my closet and
left the door open to cut it down.

To make prints, I had students arrange things on
plexiglass that was roughly the same size and when
they were ready, we lifted it slightly and placed the
paper underneath.

To develop the paper I put ammonia in a small pan and
placed it inside a tub. We experimented with
developing times - it seems best to just put all of
them in and leave them awhile - I was initially doing
them one or two at a time because I wasn't sure it the
fumes would work of the papers were touching - it
seems OK though.

Maybe if you try some largescale ones, you could put
them inside a garbage can or something.

I think silhoutted little people would be really fun.

Dawn