Homebound students in HS advanced art

---------

From: Carolyn Roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 15:21:42 PDT

I have had a home-bound student in Art 4 this entire semester and I've had a
lot of difficulty trying to create appropriate assignments and grade them
satisfactorily for student and parent...as well as being fair to the other
students in my class.

To cover myself, I wrote out each assignment and included dates due...which
I did "weekly"...and deducted points for work not turned in weekly...trying
to build some responsibility in the student to get her to DO the assignments
weekly and not wait until the last week and try to "just do something" for
each assignment and turn all in during the last week.

Her mother constantly "threatens lawsuit" if we do not comply properly. The
student does NOT like to draw...says she can't draw...and now I just found
out that she will be taking two classes from me next year and will still be
home-bound. She'll be taking Drawing/Painting 2 in the fall...and then
Drawing/Painting 3 in the spring.

Has anyone "out there" had home bound students before in advanced HS art
classes? If so, how did you handle this? I would appreciate be able to
bounce ideas off of someone who's been through this.

Please write me "off list" at croberts18@cox.net
Carolyn

---