What Do I Do When I'm Finished?

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 08:39:33 PDT

From Linda:

>>Judy, a "What can I do when I'm finished" list would be
> a great idea!!!!

Hey, my friend - it is already in the works (smile). I do have the "Drawing
Drawer" online and have plans to add more. It is on my summer "to do"
list.....and will be linked from the Art Teacher files page (that will be
completely overhauled).
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/drdrawer.htm

I have saved Linda's post - Does anyone care to add now? I will bring the
topic up again when I am ready to do the page. But maybe some of your ideas
will come in handy these next few days.

For middle school - I always had another project ready to go -- one that
didn't count as much - something they could do while others finished the
main project (all of these were graded too). Sometimes it was an extension
of the project they were working on - like making a frame for the finished
work.

(LOL at me - this is the third time I tried to submit this - I finally
counted the lines quoted - they have to be under 20 or Lyris rejects the
post)

Judy

From: Linda Woods <lindwood@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: "ALL-SCHOOL SKETCH FESTIVAL"

....we call those days when they can draw anything they want all period long
"free draw." ...... It works best with younger kids, in my
opinion. The older ones frequently see it as a period to try to goof
off. .... I have free art days.....as I have that magnet sculpture game
that is so awesome that a bunch of them love to play. Some kids draw, some
play with architecture games (stamp set and magnet architecutre from
Metropolitan), some play my "who,what, where?" game, which is a box filled
with cards of three colors. The pink ones are people,animals,or things, the
green ones are action or verbs, and the purple ones are places. So, if they
draw a card of each color, they get a wacky idea to illustrate, such as "A
hula dancer (pink) on a subway (purple) telling fortunes (green)." Other
things I have are "scrap monsters", where they use scraps off the scrap
cart, pretty much in the shapes they find them, to build monsters or
animals or people. ...... I have an origami box with instructional books
in it and paper. I have a pictionary game. I have bins with various
things to draw in them..... I have a calligraphy bin with pens in it. I
have a bin with modeling clay that gets recycled. And I have a huge list of
suggestions for things to draw .....

---