Re: to Larry....opps, here's my letter

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 06:51:35 PDT

> I have a photo of a CO bubbling brook that I can use with the
> kids and I willclosely show your approach. Thank you for
> sharing this.I don't suppose you know what colors you used????

I teach a very basic color theory which has served my own purposes as a plein air painter. It is called a split primary colorwheel based on color temperature (ie warm versus cool). Its basically a modification of the basic three primary color with exceptions that I have a warm and cool of each.

I use phtalo blue and ultramarine as the warm and cool of blue; cadmium yellow med (or similar) to Hansa yellow or pale as the warm and cool of yellow; and Cadmium Red medium (or toward the more orange side of the reds) to Alizarin Crimson (or similar) as the warm and cool of red;

Kids learn that warm color tends to come forward to the viewer's eye, cool colors recede. Kids see the hazing affect of distant masses of landscape photos and I explain the density of water molecules in the atmosphere that causes light retention and refraction. This diminishes detail as it goes back, lightens values, desaturates pigment chroma or intensity, and cools colors. Fall colored leaves as hills from the distance will appear as blues and violets as example.

> My second question:
> We are using water mixable oils, what brushes or brush sets
> should I purchasefor the kids?
> I have about $20 for each student designated for brushes
> that they can keep.
> Brenda

$20 is generous Brenda...
I just order the cheap bristle sets...usually a three brush Dynasty Set from Nasco, and I'm sure we'll get good recommendations from those that use SAX sets. I order a "4bristle round, #4 bristle filbert and #6 bristle flat
then...I separate order a bunch of SAX #2 True Flow bristle rounds which are smaller for some small marks to "suggest" detail. Finally, I order a 1-1/4" diamond shaped painting knife (not palette knife) for mixing paint, dabbing small marks, using the sides to suggest lines, brush and so forth.

For palettes..you might find freezer wrap paper shiny side up taped down to desks to work quite well.

Larry

http://www.artlandishconcepts.org

---