Re: can you help with this?

---------

From: Virginia Rockwood (wckdstpm_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 18:05:40 PDT

Sue,

For rubbing media you could use a fat black Crayola crayon or a lumber
crayon (buy these inexpensive crayons at hardware stores.)
Or you can pay for special rubbing waxes which in my personal
experience aren't worth it, unless you want to try a metallic
wax on black paper. Avoid chalk and charcoal, too dusty, smeary, and
dirty for this process.

The best papers are soft and not too thick. Some rice papers are ideal.
Tissue paper is good, but make sure you double it.
Experiment with different kinds of paper. You might want to practice
before you go, so you know what kind of paper you like best.

Cut the paper bigger than you need and use masking tape to tape the
paper to the stone. The paper must be taut for best results.

I'm an old hand at rubbing gravestones and have given many a workshop
to both adults and my students. If you have any other
questions, feel free to ask. Check out my definitive guide to
gravestone rubbing on my web site:
http://www.wickedstepmother.net/Gstone&Gyard/G&G%20rubbing.htm
The site is still in the state of becoming, but my goal is to have the
content in place before the end of the summer.

Happy rubbing!

Ginny Rockwood
Brattleboro Area Middle School
Brattleboro, VT

> Do you have a recommendation on what type of paper and medium I should
> use
> to get the best results so that I can have that rubbing, along with
> other
> items, framed?"
>

> Sue E. Stewart
> Sumner High School