On retirement -To Woody

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 17:14:41 PDT

I once said to a former teacher of mine - "I don't want to be an artist
anymore, it's too hard, sometimes it hurts too much." and he said " You
don't really have a choice, do you?"

The same may be said for teachers. Sometimes it's too hard and sometimes it
hurts too much. We may want to give it up, we retire, but we don't really
have a choice about teaching - we always will somehow, someway. Because just
like making art , there is nothing quite like the feeling of the job well
done.

I've been on this list at least 4 years and Woody has always been here...
always patient, always kind (I've heard a harsh word from him) always
tolerant (hey Woody, how'd you like a nickel for every time you told someone
how to unsubscribe from the list?) and always has an answer. Often I
wondered how does he do it? He teaches, he has triplets, he keeps a web
site, he's involved in art ed leadership ... and he always seems to be on
the list. (must have a great wife)

But done it he has and long enough to retire with a positive attitude toward
all of it still.

Congratulations Woody all the best to all you pursue
you don't really have a choice do you?

Patty

---