RE: Slave Arts Other Than Quilts

---------

From: King, Jean (JKING5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 12:50:26 PDT

Bottle trees are a very traditional thing. Normally the bottles are stuck
on by placing them over the stubs of dead branches. I have seen them done
with bottles of colored water suspended from branches.

You might want to watch the movie "Daughters of the Dust" I don't think it
would be appropriate for class room viewing, but it is really a gorgeous
film about a family in the Sea Islands over the Southern coast.

You might also want to check out "memory jars". They are one of my favorite
things and should make an interesting project. Try this link:
http://www.theamesgallery.com/FolkArtPages/Memory.html

Robert Farris Thompson is an excellent resource on this culture. He wrote a
book entitled "Flash of the Spirit" which is another good resource.

I would be loath to call it "slave art". Most folk art in the south has it
roots in the mixture of African and Southern culture.

Hope this helps,
Jean King

---