Re: - Castles out of sand?

---------

From: dkj (jouets_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 08:52:01 PDT

Here are a couple of recipes that I found on a preschool site...
I haven't tried them yet, so can't tell you which works or works best...
The first one I wondered if Ross Art Paste might be substituted for
the homemade wheat paste...

Permanent Sand Castle added 4-7-02 Original Author Unknown

Need: sand, water, paper plate, flour, sugar, stove, pot, spoon

Directions: Combine 6 cups of sand w/ 1 cup of wheat paste (recipe below).
Add water until the mixture feels slightly sticky and packs firmly into
shapes. Put the shape onto a paper plate and allow to dry over-night.

Wheat paste recipe
Combine 1/3 cup of flour and 2 tbsp. sugar in a saucepan. Slowly pour 1 cup
of water and mix well. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until
thickened. Makes 1 cup as needed above

Sand Castles added 3-31-99 Original Author Unknown

Need: Sand Dough, 1 cup cornstarch, 2 cups fine sand, 1 1/2 cups cold water

Directions: Mix in an old pan. Stir 5 - 10 minutes over medium heat until
thick. Cool, then store in a plastic bag or container until ready to use.
This should yield enough for 4 -6 children. Make Sand Castles the children
can take home with Sand
Dough. Give each child a small amount of the sand dough on a paper plate and
an assortment of small shells, stones, beads, straws, anything to decorate
their castle. These will dry hard is left to set for a few days.