Slave arts other than quilts

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 08:47:58 PDT

Here's a book that mentions slave art quite a bit:
THE AFRO-AMERICAN TRADITION IN DECORATIVE ARTS
by John Michael Vlach

I mentions quilts, musical instruments, baskets, jugs, woodcarvings, pipes,
wrought iron work, graveyard sculptures (altars).

The wonder is that they could make art at all under those terrible
conditions. White slavery refers to prostitution when it is done using
drugs to enslave the person. I imagine that black slavery wasn't much
different. It's no wonder that the churches are so important in African
American culture.

I think that the book BLACK BEAUTY is an allegory of slavery.

Well, I guess I have exposed my ignorance enough for one day.

Jean Womack

---