Re: Music

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 08:36:51 PDT

I got tired of dealing with the music issues - one student would want country, one would want hard rock, one would want rap, and no one was concentrating on their projects. I resorted to a "no words" rule - they may bring in their CD's as long as there are no words on it. Since none of my students own any we listen to my personal collection. I have several from Crizmac, some Native American flute music, classical, etc. It's amazing that once the protests die down the students find they actually enjoy this type of music - several students have even started purchasing some of their own and started bringing them in. I think that it's because they have no knowledge of this type of music, and they have come to appreciate it. It has sure solved the music issues in my room. :-)
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

>I work in a middle school and there is a lot of time when the kids are working on a project for a few days in a row, I usually play the radio for them but they are constantly asking to put on certain radio stations. I tried playing them, but I have to change the station because of inappropriate talk or songs (on top of the fact that I can expect my principal to stop in once or twice a day and I want to be certain that the music is conducive to his standards).I think I am going to have to resort to my personal CDs or oldies music stations so that I can be certain there is no inappropriate material, which I am sure will not go over well with the students but I can't think of any other way to resolve the problem. What do you all do in respect to music, I know some don't like playing it at all in class, but those of you who do, how do you handle the type to play?

---