Re: Music

---------

From: Aaron Hopkins (hopkiaar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 08:02:22 PDT

i LOVE music in my class...in elementary i play it often when we are
working...i find that the types of music that are played can often
dictate the way the students behave. i usually play folk music that is
just some singing and guitar.
David Wilcox is an amazing artist who has a bunch of albums out and his
music is meaninful at the same time!
Michael Lille, SGGL, John Denver, and others are interesting to kids.
It may not be the hip-hop or hard rock they like because of the energy,
but they like this stuff because it's easy to concentrate on the work
and the music is deep
aaron

>>> artinpa@yahoo.com 05/28/03 09:31AM >>>
I work in a middle school and there is a lot of time when the kids are
working on a project for a few days in a row, I usually play the radio
for them but they are constantly asking to put on certain radio
stations. I tried playing them, but I have to change the station
because of inappropriate talk or songs (on top of the fact that I can
expect my principal to stop in once or twice a day and I want to be
certain that the music is conducive to his standards).I think I am going
to have to resort to my personal CDs or oldies music stations so that I
can be certain there is no inappropriate material, which I am sure will
not go over well with the students but I can't think of any other way to
resolve the problem.What do you all do in respect to music, I know some
don't like playing it at all in class, but those of you who do, how do
you handle the type to play? Thanks for your inputDiana