Videos for Middle School

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 07:18:49 PDT

Dear Middle School Teachers,

Some folks wanted to see a list of recommended videos for middle school
students (the list is endless!). My own personal list could go on and on....
I used a number of videos but usually fast forwarded to my favorite parts.
So far I have not previewed a suitable Andy Warhol (don't like the way his
character reflects in the one I saw) or Rene Magritte (too many live nude
models).

I will start with a few of my favorites (Sorry Judy Nagel - I don't have a
Sax visual Resource Catalog - I know Sax has a number of these, too):

Masters of Illusion (Crystal Productions page 77)
African Art: Through the Eyes of Africans (Crystal Productions page 85)
Romare Beardon Visual Jazz (Crystal page 86)
Jacob Lawrence: The Glory of Expression (Crystal page 86)
Faith Ringgold: The Last Story Quilt and Paints Crown Heights (Crystal page
86)
Betye and Alison Saar: Conjure Women of the Arts (Crystal page 86)
What about the "I Can Fly" (two videos)? Has anyone seen those (Crystal page
86)
Betty LaDuke: Africa Between Myth and Reality (Crystal page 85)
Gerald Brommer - Both Elements and Principles of Design (I hear the
Perspective one is good, too)
Fantastic World of M.C. Escher (Crystal page 82)
Jim McNeill Tessellations
Drawing the Line: Keith Haring (Crystal page 82)
Georgia O'Keeffe (Try the Great Women Artists - it is shorter - I have the
longer one - Crystal page 83)
and on ....and on...and on...I could list videos from every page of Crystal
Productions catalog.
I have used (and purchased) the Time Life Lost Civilizations (or is it
Ancient Civilazations?) series - narrated by Sam Waterson
What you need to do is look at the artists and cultures you teach and start
collecting and previewing.
All of the Crizmac videos are good for middle school too.

Anyone care to add? Anyone find a Warhol video they found suitable for
middle school? How about Rene Magritte?

I will add more on to this list if you want (let me knkow).

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/