Re: Anyone know anything about slave arts other than quilts?

---------

From: Nancy Walkup (nwalkup_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 14:01:22 PDT

Check out The Web of Life: The Art of John Biggers on ArtsEdNet. His
work depicted African influences on American life in the south,
primarily the development of the "shotgun" house from West Africa to
Haiti to the South.

Nancy

>>> lindwood@webtv.net 05/26/03 01:07PM >>>
I know they probably were so busy working that they didn't have much
time for crafts, but I am about to start researching for one of our art
a la carte units on African American Art. The history teachers really
want to have us come up with some crafts that were brought over from
Africa. Textiles is about all I know about offhand. One teacher said
something about seagrass basketry. Not sure where to look for that.
She said she would try to find something about it while she is in NC
this summer. But, do any of you know of anything else related to this
topic? I can't resist throwing in Jacob Lawrence's Harriet Tubman
series, even though he is 20th century. I think that the topic is so
pervasive throughout African American art past and present that you
can't ignore the more contemporary art due to the fact that the subject
won't ever be forgotten. Ok....ideas anyone?

Linda

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu
---