Summer art on Beaver Isle, MI

---------

From: Ann Carolan (acarolan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 13:10:54 PDT

For Midwest artists and teachers in search of a summer artist's retreat
and/or paradise, you can't beat the view or the price {$125 for room and
board plus tuition fees of $182 per semester hr.} at the CMU BIO-Station
on Beaver Island, MI, one of the most remote and beautiful places on the
great lakes. The food is wonderful and camping plus a meal plan is
available. Below is a summary of the classes. For more information,
pictures, registration, etc. go to their website at
http://www.cst.cmich.edu/centers/cmubs/2003Courses.htm and scroll down to
the art classes. For registration contact: Jim Gillingham by e-mail:
james.c.gillingham@cmich.edu

POST SESSION (August 4 - August 15)
WATERCOLORS. ART 334/530/597/630/697*
3 semester hours. Staff
This class is designed for the beginning, intermediate and advanced
watercolorist. Emphasis will be placed on a solid grounding in transparent
watercolor painting techniques, color composition and a color
interpretation of the Beaver Island environment. The student must have
basic drawing skills.

PAPERMAKING/BOOKBINDING    ART 597/697

3 semester hours. S. Rose

Explore the expressive qualities of handmade paper combined with creative
bookbinding techniques.  Designed for  beginning through advanced
students, simple to more complex bookbindings and structures will be
covered as well as the basics for making handmade paper from a variety of
plant materials.

LASTING IMPRESSIONS – CERAMIC REALITY

3 semester  hours. J. White

In gathering impressions and translating them into form, we will explore
our experiences, surroundings and the ceramic process.  Projects will
focus on translating texture and image to simple forms, which will be
fired in raku and other low fire techniques.  In an environment friendly
manner, our goal will be to experiment with many possibilities including
imprinting, transferring Xerox image, mold making, garbage enhanced
surfaces, nearly smokeless-raku….Designed for beginning and continuing
students, this class is all about expanding our knowledge and experience
with demonstrations, slides/videos, critiques and the hard work of serious
play.

INTRODUCTION TO KAYAKING. RLA 200

2 credit hours. K. Bruland

 Explore the exciting world of sea kayaking on the pristine waters of
Beaver Island.  Learn to be a safe and proficient paddler as we practice
paddle strokes, rescues, braces, launching and landing.  We'll also learn
the basics of navigation, weather prediction, boat design and the proper
use of safety equipment.  Weather permitting, we'll explore one of the
outer islands by kayak

acarolan@inland.k12.mi.us

---