Re: Re: Recommended artists & cultures- John Biggers

---------

From: arttucker (arttucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 08:30:07 PDT

Next-to-last day, here.

After Nike decided to endow a high school athlete with a $90 million contract last week, I decided to start a movement here in Tennessee. Art educators here in town are going to write their corporate marketing department asking the shoe manufacturer to consider endowing art scholarships of $9 million.

When I read that the Getty doesn't have the resources to support this list serve, I wonder what happened to the hype a few years ago about their opening in L.A.? Weren't established museums like the Metropolitan, the National Gallery, supposed to be threatened by the Getty's ability to acquire art?

Is it just me, or does the feeling of exhaustion have more to do with what's valued in our society than teaching students?