USA Jobs updated - and Illinois "bits and pieces"

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 09:17:35 PDT

Teacher openings has been updated - I am sure some are dupications. New
listings at the top. I will start to delete ones at the bottom soon.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs.htm

"Bits and Pieces" sent to me by Gail to post to the list (Written by Marge
Dickinson):

Here are a few items of interest
1. If you are interested in Arts Management, check out the details on this
summer institute.
2. Interesting story on the effect of NCLB (No Child Left Behind).
3. Advocacy letter needed - we need your help keeping the pressure on the
Illinois legislators lest they forget how important the arts are. Let's
hang together so we don't hang separately. A sample letter is included in
this on but please personalize it - it will have more effect.
4. A LOT of jobs from all over the country. I have alphabetized them for
you and tried to remove duplicates. Forgive me if you find some.
Marge Dickinson

1. Arts Management Institute
The Summer Institute for Arts Management is June 19-21 here in Amherst, MA.
I'd like to offer your constituents the discount rate of $315 ($350/$370
regular). This includes the book Fundamentals of Arts Management ($50
retail), and admission to the Fifth Annual Robert Gard lecture Thursday
evening. The fee also includes three lunches and breaks. Hotel rooms are
$75 single/$85 double. Dorms are $30 and $50. Taxes and other fees are
included in this price.
Conference details and registration form are at:
http://www.umass.edu/aes/conferences/index.html
If anyone is interested, have them indicate on the registration form this
email, and they can apply for the discounts.

Shirley K. Sneve, Director
Arts Extension Service
UMass Amherst
Tel: 413-545-5240
Fax: 413-577-3838
www.umass.edu/aes <http://www.umass.edu/aes>

States lower testing standards
Several states have been lowering standardized test thresholds to meet the
mandates of the No Child Left Behind Act, a report says.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/22/education/22EDUC.html
 (5/22)

Advocacy letter needed
Dear Arts Advocates,
In the waning hours of the legislative session when pressure mounts in
Springfield, legislators cut budgets. Your legislators must have your
letters in hand urging them not to cut the Illinois Arts Council budget.
Write letters to your senator and representative now and fax them to their
Springfield offices. All letters must be received by May 28. Please mail or
fax a copy to the IAA. FAX 312-855-1565 Click here to find your
legislators' contact information
http://www.artsalliance.org/adv_legislator.shtml

Encourage letters from board and audience members on their own stationary to
their legislators and fax/mail those letters too. We want to deliver copies
of all letters to legislative leadership - our goal is 1,000 letters from
every part of the state, powerfully revealing the scope and intensity of
arts advocacy in Illinois.

SAMPLE LETTER IS BELOW.

We applaud the 105 individuals who have sent letters thus far on behalf of
the following:
Apple Tree Theatre
Beacon Street Gallery
Chicago Dramatists
City of Edwardsville
Des Plaines Arts Council
Hinsdale Center for the Arts
Illinois Arts Alliance
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago
League of Chicago Theatres
Mitchell Museum at Cedarhurst
Music in the Loft
Northlight Theatre
Peoria Art Guild
Porchlight Music Theatre
Rockford Symphony Orchestra
Sara Lee
SCORE - Students Creating Opera to Reinforce Education
Stage Left Theatre

SAMPLE LETTER
May 22, 2003

The Honorable John Doe
State Senator
XXX Capitol Building
Springfield, IL 62706
(Or Fax #: 217-782-XXXX)

Dear Senator Doe,

I am a (board member, staff member, audience member, student, constituent)
of (arts organization) in (town). As you prepare the state budget for
fiscal year 2004, I urge you to restore the $1.1 million cut in the
Governor's proposed Illinois Arts Council budget and work towards funding
the arts, humanities and public broadcasting at $2 per person per year.
Yes, we are asking state government to spend $2 a year for each Illinois
citizen or $24 million.

Government funding helps the arts play their important role in the life of
our communities.
(add your own paragraph here)

Thank you,
Your Name