RE: Anyone know anything about slave arts other than quilts?

---------

From: Fields, Linda (fieldsl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 08:03:35 PDT

Face jugs have been around NC a long time. Supposedly a slave named "Dave"
was one of the originators. You can still find examples, both old and
contemporary, in the Seagrove/Jugtown area of NC.

Seagrass basketry is well-known in the Charleston, SC area where women from
the outlying islands often sell their baskets at the city market. Linda in
NC