Re: Anyone know anything about slave arts other than quilts?

---------

From: Judie (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 03:35:18 PDT

The seagrass basket artists are very visible and prevalent in Charleston,
S.C. in the market place. You might contact the Chamber of Commerce in
Charleston to get more info. or do a search on Charleston Folk Art. Also,
I remember rag dolls I picked up at the market several years ago.

Can't remember the name of the artist (brain has shut down for the year),
but the piece I think is called "The Banjo Player".

The Atlanta History Center also may be a source of information.
                                 www.atlantahistorycenter.com

If you do a search on www.ixquick.com and plug in "Atlanta History Center"
several other links come up. "Swan Coach House" is another link there that
may be of interest.

Also, there is a Folk Art Museum in Asheville, North Carolina that may be
of help.

Good luck.

Judie

>I know they probably were so busy working that they didn't have much
>time for crafts, but I am about to start researching for one of our art
>a la carte units on African American Art. The history teachers really
>want to have us come up with some crafts that were brought over from
>Africa. Textiles is about all I know about offhand. One teacher said
>something about seagrass basketry. Not sure where to look for that.
>She said she would try to find something about it while she is in NC
>this summer. But, do any of you know of anything else related to this
>topic? I can't resist throwing in Jacob Lawrence's Harriet Tubman
>series, even though he is 20th century. I think that the topic is so
>pervasive throughout African American art past and present that you
>can't ignore the more contemporary art due to the fact that the subject
>won't ever be forgotten. Ok....ideas anyone?
>
>Linda

---