Re: slave arts and folk art pottery

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 18:32:02 PDT

Thanks for the information Madafo. Here is some information I was able to find on Gullah/Geechie:
http://www.gsu.edu/~wwwaad/Newsletter/newsletter5.htm
http://users.aol.com/queenmut/GullGeeCo.html

I have many links for Face Jugs and African American Pottery (some images too). Is this a topic that would interest others? I can put a page on my site. My files were too long to post to the list so I sent it to Linda off list. Reply to the list - or to me ( Jdecker@woh.rr.com ) if this would interest you.

  Hello Linda,

  I appreciate your interest in this subject...but, it's also interesting that when you refer to "slave" art you mean the art of those Africans born in America. At least, that's what is infered in you post with the mention of Jacob Lawrence and Harriet Tubman...I might suggest that these people of whom I think you make reference to as slaves were Africans first...placed in a condition of slavery. Throughout History, Slaves were also a phenomenon in Europe and Asia.
  As a teacher, please understand the imagery that can form in a young person's mind when they or their ancestors are always refered to as slave or minority.
  The art of the people you mention came with them in the holes of the ship...the stories they told in Africa are the same ones they told on the plantation after working in the fields from sun up to sun down. For instance, the Brer Rabbit tales of the US South are decendent from the Anancy stories of the Ashanti; the sculpture, paintings, music and dance all possess the African perspective rather than that of slave.
  Would also suggest you research some of the Gullah/Geechie peoples of Southern North Carolina, the Low Country of Charleston and the Georgia Sea Islands. There is a website that may give you more insight...I think it is www.Gullah/Geechie.com.
  or you may email Queen Marquetta Goodwine at GullGeeCo@aol.com. Queen Quet, as she is known is the official spokesperson for the Gullah Geechie Nation.

  Peace,

  Madafo

---