Re: grades

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 17:10:56 PDT

I have referred to the effort/participation/behavior category as
improvement (growth). The importance of maximum participation and the
problem with poor behavior is the impact on improving the skills etc.

 I have experienced a few students who could produce good work with
very little effort. Problem with this kind of student is that there
is very little improvement over the term or years. Other students may
produce lower quality work at the beginning of the term but with
maximum participation make huge strides.

I wanted a category to give a separate evaluation of the growth aspect
of the work involved and the impact that the effort had on the end
result. Encouraged going beyond the quick and easy finish.

Sharon NJ
----------
>From: Ray Leal <rayleal@earthlink.net>
>Subject: Re: grades
>Date: Mon, May 26, 2003, 1:58 PM

> I teach middle school too. (snip)
> I figure participation will show up in
> those grades- If they participate regularly, their work will show it. I
> never could find a way to accurately measure participation itself, and
> we can't grade behavior.
> Heather

> Jayna Huffines wrote:
>> We are not supposed to grade for behavior at my school.

---