Re: book topic opinion

---------

From: Dianna Mammone (dndmammone_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 15:54:02 PDT

Maryanne,
I think it is very important to include Faith Ringgold
in this book. Unlike other artists like Lee Krazner
and Georgia O'Keefe, Faith Ringgold worked
independently and her life story is one of
adaptability and perseverance.

In the 1960's she talks about being doubly rejected by
our society that asked "What does a woman have to
express that is uniquely different?" and again "What
does an African-American have that is uniquely
different and not all ready being expressed?"

She also modified her form of art, beginning with
paintings on canvas. Gallery dealers refused her
large pieces because they were costly to ship and
maintain. So she changed to painting on fabric. Her
art pieces could be easily shipped and she asked the
gallery owners to take what it would usually cost to
ship and give it to her so she could travel with the
piece and do a lecture. (Savvy to me, lots of art ed.
 She also was a public school teacher)

I think Faith is important because she provided a
turning point in art in America, to women, African
Americans and art lovers in general, she has given
voice to many previously unheard voices that enrich
our cultural quilt.

My 2 cents,
Diannabanana