Re: Anyone know anything about slave arts other than quilts?

---------

From: The Hammond Family (bhammond_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 12:58:09 PDT

Seagrass baskets can be found in SOUTH Carolina - check around the
Charleston area.
African American slaves also did "face jugs" from pottery - check out the
North Carolina Pottery Center on the web for contemporary non-African
American images. Several pots around by the slave "Dave the Potter".
Also a freed slave around Raleigh NC, Thomas Day - a wonderful cabinet maker
and woodworker.
A painter, Joshua Johnston (sometimes listed as Johnson), 1765-1830, also a
freed slave, a portrait painter