Re: grades

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 09:03:27 PDT

I give participation grades - 10 points per day which avg. appx. 1 pt every 10 min. If a student earns less than 75% of their weekly daily points they must make up a 30 min. detention where they will work on their project. If a student fails to serve their detention they receive a day of in-school suspension (school policy). Still, I have students fail due to participation. BUT, this is also reflected in their project grade - how can a student fail participation yet still pass on the project? When my students want to know how to improve their grade I tell them to start earning all their daily points - funny thing is, they do notice the quality of their work improves as well. :-) I have a sheet that I fill out at the end of class - I can do an entire class in less than 2 min. once you get used to doing it.
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

   Also how do you justify a failing grade for participation? I
  haven't failed anyone, I have given a C but how do you document for that? I
  just need a new system and I'm not sure what to do. How are some of ya'll
  setting up your grades?

---