grades

---------

From: LeAnn Escoffre (lescoffre_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 08:33:21 PDT

I am a new teacher and this was my first job teaching Middle School art. I
have found out what does and does not work and of course I have discovered
many things that I am going to do differently. One of those things is
grades. I like my system of rubrics. I have a basic format for those, I just
plug in specifics for each lesson and they work just fine. I don't however
like how my grades are set up. CUrrently I am doing 50% large projects(These
are the main projects that we do ex. a collage, a painting based on Picasso,
etc), 15% sketchbook, handouts, and worksheets, 20% small projects(Usually
in class exercises that we do together or short one day projects), 15%
participation (usually based on behavior/ should I change this to say
behavior?). Also how do you justify a failing grade for participation? I
haven't failed anyone, I have given a C but how do you document for that? I
just need a new system and I'm not sure what to do. How are some of ya'll
setting up your grades? See teachers have it easy. I'm not working on
Memorial Day.
Sheesh.

LeAnn

---