Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

From: LeAnn Escoffre (lescoffre_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 08:33:21 PDT

I am a new teacher and this was my first job teaching Middle School art. I
have found out what does and does not work and of course I have discovered
many things that I am going to do differently. One of those things is
grades. I like my system of rubrics. I have a basic format for those, I just
plug in specifics for each lesson and they work just fine. I don't however
like how my grades are set up. CUrrently I am doing 50% large projects(These
are the main projects that we do ex. a collage, a painting based on Picasso,
etc), 15% sketchbook, handouts, and worksheets, 20% small projects(Usually
in class exercises that we do together or short one day projects), 15%
participation (usually based on behavior/ should I change this to say
behavior?). Also how do you justify a failing grade for participation? I
haven't failed anyone, I have given a C but how do you document for that? I
just need a new system and I'm not sure what to do. How are some of ya'll
setting up your grades? See teachers have it easy. I'm not working on
Memorial Day.