Re: List of recommended artists & cultures (Elementary)

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 07:47:34 PDT

Does anyone else teach "place-based" education? Their own local culture?
Local artists? I teach Mort Walker (Beetle Bailey creator) since he grew up
10 miles from where I teach, Stan Herd (Land artist), Elizabeth "Grandma"
Layton (contour artist), and Birger Sandzen (printmaker) to name a few.
Students feel a connection to these artists immediately. (side note: I find
it fascinating that local wild flowers can be purchased in the "exotic
plants" section! People really have no idea what is in their own backyards)

I am curious as to how teachers actually break down their curriculum. I try
to teach one culture to each grade level, so that one is easy, BUT, that
list of artists is huge. How do you divide those up? How do you teach them
to your students? I want my students to truely remember the artists I
introduce, and not just remember that I put it on the wall "that one day".
If I see my students 36 weeks for 1 hour a week, how do I divide my
curriculum so that I hit on all the "must know" artists that are listed? I
am re-doing my curriculum this summer and definately want to know how others
go about this. :-)
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> Cultures for Elementary (Please add on)
> Australian Aboriginal works
> Ashanti Kente Cloth
> Mexico-Oaxacan Animals, Day of the Dead
> China-Dragons, Shadow Puppets, Ink Painting, Fans, Chinese Screens
> Japan-Daruma, Origami, Fans, Kimono Design, Zen Gardens

---