Re: Anyone teach in an elementary arts magnet?

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 21:34:55 PDT

In Texas, magnets seem to be a way to diversify the
student population. This was ruled unconstitutional
and some districts now have some kind of lottery
system for the schools that have the biggest "draw" -
one Montessori magnet had parents camped out trying to
get their children in...

Pluses for magnets - usually there is more funding
involved and (my personal observation) there is
usually more parent involvement, or at least parents
who value education enough to get their kids into a
special program.

The arts magnets in my district produce incredible
work - of course the staff is really good. They also
have more time to work on art built into their school
day.

Dawn