Re: artsednet digest: May 24, 2003

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 13:00:12 PDT

on 5/25/03 2:00 AM, ArtsEdNet Talk digest at artsednet@lists.pub.getty.edu
wrote:

> Subject: Samples of describe and anaylse art essays
> From: Justin Kramer <justyn@ozonline.com.au>
> Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 17:02:44 +1000
>
> Does any have an exemplar example of an upper middle school student's
> written attempt at describing, analysing, interpreting and judging an
> artwork. I have a group of students who are having huge difficulties with
> this concept regardless of all prompts and need a concete example to go by.

Hi Justin,

This might be of some help. As an ArtsConnected trainer for the Mpls.
Institute of Art and the Walker Art Center in Minnesota, I assembled the
following collection as a model for a variety of different levels of
at (using the DBAE model). The examples include a response to the sensory
(descriptive) qualities of the 16th century tapestry, Allegorical
"Millefleurs" Tapestry with Animals at the elementary level, Anne-Louis
Girodet de Roucy-Trioson's, "Academic Study of a Male Head", at the middle
school level, and Edward Hopper's "Office at Night" at the high school
level. The appropriateness of the image and the language used in attending
to the sensory elements being used in the compositions were strongly
considered in putting these exemplars together. You can view the collection
by visiting the following address:

http://www.artsconnected.org/pub/KevanNitzberg1416.cfm

Another collection that I created dealing with responding to the principles
employed by artists in their works, examines the 16th century painting
attributed to Lorenzo Costa, "Portrait of a Cardinal in his Study", Duncan
Hannah's painting, "Jump Rope", and "Still Life" by Marsden Hartley. That
collection can be viewed at:

http://www.artsconnected.org/pub/KevanNitzberg5708.cfm

If you are interested in creating your own collection(s) or working with
students to have them create their own analyses of works of art, I will be
giving my monthly online ArtsConnected training online at Tappedin.org on
Thursday, June 12th from 6 PM - 7:30 PM (CST). The login address for that
site is:

http://ti2.sri.com/tappedin/index.jsp

Kevan Nitzberg

---