Re: Oil Landscape Lesson

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 04:46:59 PDT

I am a professional artist, member of National Academy of Professional Plein
Air Painters...and will have an up and coming article in a new Plein Air
magazine hitting the market, sometime perhaps later this fall or year.
We'll see how that comes together.

I invite and welcome you to check out my website, the demo's that I have
there which were built using a digital camera set on a tripod taking
pictures are various stages of my methods painting on location. Of course
you can modify for students, for example they need not use copal medium as I
do...

My plein airs are completed in 1-1/2 to 3 hours depending on size....

Those interested in learning to paint plein air, or directly from nature
outdoors yet as beginners are intimidated by nature and painting from life
to set up 8" x 10" images to paint from, set an alarm clock to imitate the
pressure which existing sunlight and conditions will force upon you. This
will develop for yourself a routine and confidence prior to heading
outdoors.

For my own high school students, they work on one 18" x 24" landscape for an
entire quarter...using acrylics, but with similar compositional, design and
application methods and Judy Decker has provided access to examples of
those. Throughout that quarter I am bringing in work that I am painting
outdoors, which greatly influences the kids. As goes art "appreciation" for
them to see a professional produce a gallery ready painting in only a couple
hours for that which takes them an entire quarter gets their attention and
respect. I certainly have found the students receptive to instruction...

Regardless....my online demo's will show processes, blocking in, values and
color, what NOT to paint...nailing down the essentials and portraying the
"ah-hah!" and so forth.

Larry Seiler
My website, featuring both my artistic and musical personalities-
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org

Member of NAPPAP-
http://nappap.org
"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do!"
Edgar Degas

---