A Word of Thanks

---------

From: Dennis Golombek (dennis_golombek_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 17:20:38 PDT

I just posted the following message in my Chalkdust blog but wanted to share it with all you out there who may be able to relate. I cannot detail the student's family problems here but please take my word for it that no child should lose parents in the manner that the girl who wrote the note has. My blog for today follows.

************************8

Saturday, May 24, 2003 ::

I was unable to post yesterday due to the pressures of golf following school. It was good though because I needed the time to clear out the noise of the afternoon assembly. It also let me decide to included the following not I received from an 8th grade student who has had more than her share of family problems to deal with at her yound age. I wrestled with the idea of not including this as it may appear to be selfserving and I'm convinced now that if this blog is to be an accurate word picture of middle school students and teachers it must be shared.

The following was found on my desk Friday afternoon. A three-holed lined loose leaf paper, written in violet marker, folded in half that read on the outside:
"For a very special teacher!"

Flip side reads: "For a very important person. Happy Birthday!"

Inside it reads:
"Mr. G.
"Thank you for choosing me to be in the class. I don't know what you seen in my drawing. I don't know but thanx anyways. Also, I just wanted to say thank you for being there for me. Through tough times and understanding. I really appreciate it."
A hear shape and signed your favorite student, A"

If any students in a teacher ed program are reading this you should understand that this note is one of the reasons we teach. I was fortunate to be on the receiving end of this one. There are many other teachers out there who don't get this type of thanks but deserve thanks anyway.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend. Mine already is.

Dennis Golombek
Lowry Middle School
North Tonawanda, NY
http://www.dgolombek.net

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* ---