Re: power points

---------

From: Diane Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 14:41:46 PDT

Hi All,

I use power point presentations in my undergraduate art education classes that I
teach at Southwest Texas State University. I use them for a course called ArtT
3370; Art Theory and Practice. This course is designed for the elementary
classroom teacher who in Texas is 48% likely to be the one and only art teacher
students have.

I use it to teach art concepts such as the elements and principles of design. I
have learned over the years to keep text to a minimum and when I do use text, I
often present an open-ended question rather than supplying information. This way
I can get more interaction and discussion going. When I do present just straight
information, I always, always, always use a visual example along with it. I also
try to keep the information on one screen to a very bare minimum.

If you want to provide detailed text information you can do this by creating
detailed speaker notes that can be passed out as a handout. I have found the
teaching more enjoyable if the powerpoint presentation focuses on visual examples
of concepts that are presented usually one at a time, with particular emphasis on
asking questions to test their understanding and to act as a direct teaching tool
and review tool.

As Pam said, it is great to have for students who miss the presentation. I find
it also builds vocabulary, spelling, discussion and critical thinking skills.
However, it did take me a while to resist the temptation of putting up a
detailed, boring outline with a lot of text. This is typically what students
experience, unfortunately, in most university classes.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Diane

=====