Teaching through Power Point Software

---------

From: Pam Stephens (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 07:59:53 PDT

Power Point is an incredible effective teaching tool. Keeping in mind that
my art room is equipped with a small computer lab as well as a TV monitor
that projects from my computer, here are three ways that I use the software:

1. Lesson summaries part I: Most of my lesson summaries are re-created in
Power Point in such a way that my students can read and understand them.
This serves as a constant review of objectives and instructions for each
lesson when it is projected to the TV monitor.

2. Lesson summaries part II: Power Point presentations of the lessons are
stored in my Shared Folder. This folder is accessible to anyone (kids,
teachers, administrators) who is using a computer on our campus. This is
particularly helpful to kids who are behind a few days. When they have free
time in the classroom, they can open the shared folder for instructions that
will assist them with the art assignment. This also works well for kids who
have been absent. I find myself not having to repeat the lesson so many
times.

3. Student lesson: My sixth graders learn Power Point software. It is a
tool they need to know. In the lesson (that covers an entire six weeks), my
sixth graders research an artist online and through traditional means. They
boil down the information they gather into bite-size chunks and then make a
four to six-page presentation. The presentation must include elements of
good design as well as pertinent information about the artist. We eschew
sounds and other gimmicks that are inherent to Power Point, but embrace
importing images. At the conclusion of the lesson, the power Points are
used when each child presents an oral report during creative dramatics
class. So this is a multi-layered lesson of art history, technology, and
public speaking. (This lesson will be published in a future issue of School
Arts).

Pam

---